Q: What is the difference between an “employee” and a “user”?
A: The employee record is entered in PeopleSoft HCM (typically by the HR Department). For a new hire, this is entered at Main Menu > Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Add a Person. For editing an employee’s name/email address, this is done at Main Menu > Workforce Administration > Personal Information > Personal Information.
The user record is created by the system (or by the CRC manually, if necessary).
- District enters job data in HCM.
- 7:00 PM: A scheduled job (M_HR_CRT_ID) runs nightly at 7 pm and creates a basic user profile.
- User ID (pulls from Personal Data)
- Description (pulls from Personal Data)
- Email address (pulls from Personal Data)
- Primary permission list
- Assigns the default temporary password (First 4 of LAST NAME IN CAPS + Last 4 of SSN)
- 9:00 PM: Another process (DYNROLE_PUBL) runs at 9 pm and looks for all active employees.
- This process assigns “basic roles” to any new user with an active employee record so the employee can log into PeopleSoft ESS (to view paycheck, for example) and Portal.
- If the user will need to use Finance or HCM, you (your organization’s PeopleSoft contact) submit a HEAT Ticket with the requested role assignments.
Q: Is there something I should do when an employee leaves my organization to close out the user account?
A: Yes! Submit a HEAT ticket to indicate that the employee has left and the PeopleSoft access needs to be removed. The CRC will log into HCM and Finance and removes all roles; leave the Primary Permission list as is; leave M_EMPLOYEE role so the employee can still view paychecks in ESS. If you want the employee to have no access at all, please indicate that you would like the CRC to lock the account (cannot view paychecks).
For more information, please refer to the December 2016 Third Thursday demo titled Employee Names vs User Names