posted Feb 7, 2017, 12:22 PM by Barbara Thiss
The final entries for the January payroll encumbrances have been entered into PeopleSoft Finance. There have been many updates to the program over the last two months. The process to establish baseline encumbrances for Group 5 districts was completed and then the normal payroll encumbrance processing was completed.
Included in these updates are the following:
- 10/11 Month encumbrances: Our manual calculation updates encumbrances to correctly calculate remaining encumbrances for salaries and benefits for 10 and 11 month employees. This process will continue to happen each month until a permanent solution is developed, tested and moved into production. This is a manual calculation of filled positions because we are using the compensation rate and the remaining months from Job data and the distribution from the Department Budget Table. When the data does not match correctly (i.e. one function on the salary line and a different function on the benefit lines), we have pulled that from the calculation and it will need to be addressed separately.
- A separate email will be sent to each district that has adjustments to their 10/11 month employees with a detailed report of each employee that was updated, the chartstrings to which the updates were made, the original encumbrance amount, the manual adjustment that was made, and the total new encumbrances.
- Certain employees with multiple REG earnings paid to different objects: The encumbrances for health, retirement, and workers’ compensation deductions were sometimes too high. This has been corrected.
- Certain additional pay earnings that should be encumbered did have the earnings encumbered, but the social security, Medicare, and unemployment taxes for these earnings was not encumbered. This has been corrected. Deductions for health benefits, retirement, and workers’ compensation were correct and remain correct.
- Exception Hourly employees without any additional pay earnings did have the earnings encumbered, but the social security, Medicare, and unemployment taxes for these HRE earnings was not encumbered. This has been corrected. Deductions for health benefits, retirement, and workers’ compensation were correct and remain correct.
These items encompass all known issues with encumbrance calculations. We thank you for your patience and your assistance as we have updated the encumbrance process.
The current HEAT tickets related to payroll encumbrances will be closed. As you review your encumbrances, please enter a new HEAT ticket if you see anything unexpected.