Enrolling an Employee in Alternative Retirement Systems (ARS)

posted May 12, 2015, 6:41 PM by Peyri Herrera   [ updated May 15, 2017, 2:36 PM ]
Federal legislation requires that part-time, seasonal, and temporary employees participate in Social Security or an alternative plan established according to IRS guidelines. Alternative Retirement Systems (ARS) are an alternative to Social Security. Some districts have elected to offer ARS in lieu of Social Security. Employees are eligible to participate in ARS if they are active temporary employees and are ineligible to currently participate in PERS or STRS. Employee participation in ARS, PERS or STRS eligibility, and determination of employee’s prior membership in PERS or STRS, is coordinated with the Retirement Reporting Unit.

The CRC has created a job aid titled Enrolling an Employee in Alternative Retirement Systems v2.0 (6 pp.) that covers the setup of an ARS record in PeopleSoft for an individual employee and how to adjust Employee and Employer deductions/contributions when necessary. For future reference, this job aid is located in the “Benefits Administration - Other” section of the PeopleSoft Guides and Job Aids page.

5/12/17 UPDATE: This link in this announcement was modified to point to v2.0 of the ARS job aid.